[Coral-List] Coral polyp identification (organism of unknown identity)

Diego Fernando Lozano Cortés di8go11 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 19:18:12 EDT 2009

Donald you're right, until the identity of an organism must be treated as a hypothesis. Although several researchers have suggested that could be an octocoral. Recently Gustav Paulay wrote me the following “unlikely. The animal has 9 tentacles, not 8 (see small one also), and the tentacles are not pinnate. Octocorals have 8 tentacles and in the vast majority of species these are pinnate. Also octocorals are all colonial and I am not aware of any that do polyp bailout, but even then they would not have a pedal disk.”

PS: Shimrit (thanks), I will review the specie that you suggested me.

Diego Fernando Lozano-Cortés

Senior Biology Student

Universidad del Valle

Cali, Colombia (Southamerica)

Coral Reef Ecology Research Group

“Si quiere conocer el océano Pacífico.. vaya a Chile Si quiere conocer el océano Atlántico.. vaya a Jamaica. Si quiere conocer los Andes americanos.. vaya a Bolivia. Si quiere conocer las llanuras del Orinoco... vaya a Venezuela. Si quiere conocer las selvas del Amazonas... vaya a Brasil. Si quiere conocer las culturas precolombinas... vaya a México. Pero si quiere conocer todo ello junto... venga a Colombia.”