[Coral-List] Global Warming Theory (Douglas Fenner)

Zac Forsman zforsman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:20:27 EST 2009

Dear Doug and coral listers,
   I'm all for healthy skepticism, but for this "debate" it appears
that one side has all of the rigorous evidence, and the other side has
a lot of conjecture, ideology, and deception that typically come from
the flat earth or creationist folks.  One thing that is good about the
"debade" is that it does stimulate critical thought and discussion,
and a desire to learn more.  There is a well organized collection of
counter arguments to climate skeptic claims here:

http://gristmill.grist.org/skeptics

I also think it's very important to consider the source; interestingly
the climate skeptics have many connections with the tobacco and oil
lobbies... from wikipedia:

"The risks of passive smoking were disputed by some global warming
skeptics and related institutions, including Richard
Lindzen,[262][263] Steven Milloy,[264] Fred Singer (1994),[265] Fred
Seitz,[266] Michael Crichton,[18] Michael Fumento in 1997[267][268]
the Cooler Heads Coalition (Consumer Alert)[269][270] and the
Institute of Public Affairs.[271][272] According to the Union of
Concerned Scientists[176][185] criticism of the scientific consensus
on smoking and on global warming was embodied in The Advancement of
Sound Science Coalition, a lobby group[273][274] directed by Milloy
and established with support from Philip Morris and subsequently from
ExxonMobil. Science advisors to TASSC included Fred Singer, Fred Seitz
and Patrick Michaels.[176][177] TASSC originally campaigned against
restrictions on passive smoking, and later on global warming."

-Zac H. Forsman