[Coral-List] Global Warming Theory

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 5 06:38:51 EST 2009

After following your discussion relating to climate change,
I would like to insert an observation from a real world,
non-scientific perspective. I seems to me, that among those of you
who are the most respected in the marine sciences, the opinion that
anthropogenic climate change is real and problematic strongly prevails.
The problem is, that you are allowing the views of those like Gene's
unidentified friend to win out in the court of public opinion.
I don't know how many of you caught George Will's recent columns
on this subject, but these opinions are prevailing at least in part,
because of your collective passivity.
The climate change skeptics are not only well financed, but they are
better organized. As a result they are winning over too many converts to their
doctrines. It is not only on this subject that your hesitancy to
collectively speak out is problematic. Your recent discussion on sustainable
seafood is yet another example. (I, for one, am tired of being labeled as somewhat
unstable because I avoid eating grilled grouper.) My point is that you have a
responsibility to find a more effective way to aggressively promote these concepts.
 You cannot be satisfied to publish in scientific journals that are generally ineffective
in stirring public opinion.

Steve Mussman
sealab at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.