[Coral-List] Global Warming Theory

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Sun Mar 8 13:34:48 EDT 2009

Wow! I suspected there may be fireworks but did not expect so much
deep philosophical soul-searching analysis. That's good!
      Over the weekend I read an essay by a friend of long standing,
Bob Foster, a geologist and one of the leading AGW contrarians  in
Australia. He has just edited an upcoming issue of the UK journal
(Energy & Environment 2009, vol. 20 no 1 & 2 ) He said " After 5
months of misery, it is now "in press" at last. He said, "I chose
natural drivers of weather and climate, albeit broadly interpreted,
as its subject - being a deliberate challenge to the assertion of the
Great and the Good that our weather and climate are primarily
people-driven."
      Bob wrote an extensive essay/introduction to the vol.  and sent
me a preprint.  On the 4th page of his introduction, after describing
the contributions of the various authors, he says. "Now is the time
for a digression. I was at Adelaide University during the last decade
of the half-century struggle between the then-dominant paradigm of
Hutton/Lyell Uniformitarianism, and Wegener's theory of Continental
Drift. If we students had admitted we preferred continents that
drift, we may well have been failed. (Ironically, the overthrow of
Flood Geology - all sediments were either pre-diluvian or
anti-diluvian- by uniformitarianism, had itself been a giant step
forward.) Scientists are herd-animals; they revere consensus, and are
protective of the status quo. Here quoting noted geologist (and
contributor to this volume) Cliff Ollier: R. T. Chemberlin said
geologists might well ask if theirs could still be regarded as a
science when it is "possible for a theory like this to run
wild"...And: Sir Harold Jeffres disposed of continental drift
as...."an explanation which explains nothing which we wish to have
explained".
      Sadly, antipathy to new ideas is endemic in science. When John
Maddox introduced peer-review to NATURE, he found he had to exempt
Fred Hoyle and Louis Leaky; because reviews of their papers were so
trenchantly negative. Two of the authors I sought out for this issue
suffered some (not all) negative reviews - to the point where higher
authority has felt unable to grant them "Refereed" status. But, both
papers survive-and both are interesting and thought-provoking"

      Later in the introduction Foster brings up echos of Russia's
Lysenko affair. One of his authors quoted James Hansen (climate
scientist at NOAA) at a hearing organized by Senator Tim Wirth. In it
Hansen said about companies that emitt CO2, "In my opinion, these
CEOs should be tried for high crimes against humanity and nature. If
their campaigns continue and "succeed" in confusing the public, I
anticipate testifying against relevant CEOs in future public trials."
      The final words  about Lysenkos power in Russia were ominous.
"The director of the Institute of Genetics at the USSR Academy of
Science, Nikolai Vavilov, was a Mendelian theoretician of
high-standing. But in 1940, Vaivilov was arrested; and after 11
months of interrogation, he and two colleagues were tried and
sentenced to death. His sentence --only--was commuted; but he died in
prison. "
    The readers may remember  Lysenkos theory that ste Russian science
for many years. It said that evolution is rapid and changes are
acquired over a generation. Thus, the environment/political system
could mould  humankind.  It fit the politics and government policies
of the day. Pretty Scary! Is anything like that happening today?
      So, even though the story I contributed about psychological help
for climate deniers was intended as humorous I could not help but
wonder. People have done some really serious and crazy things in the
past...not to mention silly wars. Are we going into a period of
craziness again? I look forward to reading the entire vol of "Energy&
Environment" when it becomes available. Possibly some coral-list
readers will want to read it as well. Meanwhile, lets hope this
unusually cold winter is nearly over. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor