[Coral-List] Hope

Les Kaufman lesk at bu.edu
Tue Mar 10 09:30:20 EDT 2009

Hi folks.

As societies go, we are still discovering our toes.  There is little
chance that with current wiring and awarenesses we will do much but
react to extreme conditions.  This is entirely a social condition: in
fact our eyes are capable of seeing our ears of hearing, etc., far
better than at any other time during our lives.  Hope means that we
manage to crawl out of the way of our toppling toys before we are
crushed.

There will be collateral damage.

Les

Dear David:

I feel your pain.  The problem is the high level of ignornace of
science (your so called educated folks may be educated in business
but not in how science works) and selfishness:  if you accept AGW as
true and real, then if you are intelligent and educated you would
have to do something hard about it, like give up the way you live,
halve the number of people on Earth, etc etc.  Those are hard choices
to make so people prefer to take the easy way out and go for the
controversy.

What I do not know if whether those smug anti-folks like the one you
debated are sincere in their beliefs or they have an ulterior motive
(e.g. funded by oil and auto companies).

It is sad and worrisome.  I am reading a book  titled "The Shadows of
Consumption" by Peter Dauvergne.  It provides great examples of how
society will ignore and counter scientific evidence for financial
gain.  If you haven't already read it, I recommend it (I'm only part
way thru).  Doesn't give me much hope we will see the correct path in
time.

Alina Szmant

Les Kaufman
Professor of Biology