[Coral-List] Global Warming Theory

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 10 21:41:04 EDT 2009

A very thoughtful [easy read] article on Climate Change was sent to my
son in NOAA's National Weather Service that was developed by Bob Ryan of
NBC Channel 4 DC [past President of American Meteorological Society].
It's a 6 part article, but I thought it was one of the best overview
pieces I've read on the topic. Very even-handed and science based
without being overly technical. If you're interested, I recommend the read.

Part 1:
http://www.nbcwashington.com/weather/stories/Bob-Ryan-Global-Change-Series.html

Links to the other 5 parts are on the bottom of the web page.

Cheers,
Al Strong

James Cervino PhD. said the following on 3/9/2009 12:04 PM:
> Hey Gene, maybe a good paper titled energy, "BIOLOGY", and the environment!
> Geologists and atmospheric scientists forget to include biological feedback
> loops when playing with their little computer models.
>
> Many people that become emotionally crazy with-regards to the flat-earthers"
> denial of global warming, is due to their lack of an understanding of the "
> Biological Modulation of the Earth's Atmosphere" and the feedbacks associated
> with the entire biosphere (Margulis,L. & Lovelock,J.) The dialectics on both
> sides of this debate, where participants share at least some meanings and
> fundamental principles of inference in common is the overall reason for such
> explosive arguments to arise. Your conservative position forces you to not
> respect the role of biological feedbacks associated with the microbial world,
> hence its easy for you to say ; "no rocks no water, no life"
>
> Good day Gene!
> *************************************
> Dr. James M. Cervino
> Pace University &
> Visiting Scientist
> Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst.
> Department of Marine Chemistry
> Woods Hole MA.
> NYC Address: 9-22 119st
> College Point NY NY 11356
> Cell: 917-620*5287
> ************************************
>

> Quoting Eugene Shinn <eshinn at marine.usf.edu>:
>
> * Wow! I suspected there may be fireworks but did not expect so much
> * deep philosophical soul-searching analysis. That's good!
> *       Over the weekend I read an essay by a friend of long standing,
> * Bob Foster, a geologist and one of the leading AGW contrarians  in
> * Australia. He has just edited an upcoming issue of the UK journal
> * (Energy & Environment 2009, vol. 20 no 1 & 2 ) He said " After 5
> * months of misery, it is now "in press" at last. He said, "I chose
> * natural drivers of weather and climate, albeit broadly interpreted,
> * as its subject - being a deliberate challenge to the assertion of the
> * Great and the Good that our weather and climate are primarily
> * people-driven."
> *       Bob wrote an extensive essay/introduction to the vol.  and sent
> * me a preprint.  On the 4th page of his introduction, after describing
> * the contributions of the various authors, he says. "Now is the time
> * for a digression. I was at Adelaide University during the last decade
> * of the half-century struggle between the then-dominant paradigm of
> * Hutton/Lyell Uniformitarianism, and Wegener's theory of Continental
> * Drift. If we students had admitted we preferred continents that
> * drift, we may well have been failed. (Ironically, the overthrow of
> * Flood Geology - all sediments were either pre-diluvian or
> * anti-diluvian- by uniformitarianism, had itself been a giant step
> * forward.) Scientists are herd-animals; they revere consensus, and are
> * protective of the status quo. Here quoting noted geologist (and
> [...]

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Senior Consultant
....with AJH Environmental Services...
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5305
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x108               Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602