[Coral-List] Global Warming Theory(Greg Challenger)

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 10 16:40:48 EDT 2009

Greg,

You are correct when you assume that it doesn't serve the purpose of
progressing this debate to belittle your adversaries or to state things
as absolutes that are still not universally accepted.

It would in all probability serve both sides in this discussion to refrain
from such practices. However, I don't believe that the scientific community
(of which I am not a part) has typically been the main source of these proclamations.
If anything, the scientific community in this country has been muted by their own
timidity, probably as a result of the repressive attitudes towards science that has
prevailed in the last several years. I would suggest that you listen to the attitudes
towards AGW (and scientists & individuals that accept this theory) that persists in
the conservative media. It seems that you cannot support AGW theory without being
accused of being against every American ideal. I would rather be referred to as stupid
than be accused of being a traitor to my country.

 I have come to believe that it is not your intelligence or level
of education that determines your inclination towards AGW, but more likely your political,
economic and perhaps, theistic indoctrinations. To me, this is a scientific question that has
profound implications for the entire world, not just the limited scope of purely American interests.
Even those with only nationalistic concerns should be able to see that, like Warren Buffet's
recent characterization of the current economic situation, we are all in the same boat.
Even if we don't like the other occupants (other nations,) we will ultimately cause our
collective demise if we don't find a way to cooperatively deal with this and other related issues.

Considering the stakes, does it not make more sense to encourage science to develop
a rational, consensus-based policy rather than allowing political actions to be taken on ideological grounds?