[Coral-List] Caribbean Acropora spp. and Scientific Research

Sarah Heberling Sarah.Heberling at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 25 15:45:21 EDT 2009

Hello Coral-Listers:

Recently, I learned of a mis-perception floating around that /Acropora
palmata/ and /A. cervicornis/, which are listed species under the U.S.
Endangered Species Act (ESA), are now considered by some in the
scientific research world to be "off-limits" because of new protections
afforded under the ESA.  THIS IS FALSE!!  Now is a time when these
imperiled Caribbean coral species need more attention than ever to
increase our understanding of the mechanisms affecting these species'
continued survival.

To clarify:
In general, any permits needed in the past to conduct scientific
research on /A. palmata/ and /A. cervicornis/ are the same permits
needed for today and into the future.  No additional ESA permits are
necessary.

A guide to permits needed by scientific researchers for conducting
research on either of these species is available on our website here:
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdf/ResearchPermitKey.pdf.

A Spanish version of this guide is also available:
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdf/ResearchPermitKeySpanish.pdf.

If either you (the scientific researcher) or the permitting agency with
which you are dealing has questions, please contact either Jennifer
Moore (jennifer.moore at noaa.gov) or me (see contact info below).

--
Sarah E. Heberling
NOAA Fisheries Service
Email: Sarah.Heberling at noaa.gov
Web: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/acropora.htm

"What good is a used up world; and how could it be worth having?"