[Coral-List] Control of lionfish

Glazer, Bob Bob.Glazer at MyFWC.com
Wed May 6 16:58:56 EDT 2009

During the recent CaMPAM Training of Trainers course in Tobago, a representative from the Bahamas Department of Fisheries related how a pair of lionfish were observed from an ROV platform at greater than 400' - they are here to stay! Kathleen Sullivan-Seeley and others in the Bahamas developed a very comprehensive plan to deal with them.

Here are the oral and poster abstracts relating to lionfish from the November 2008 GCFI symposium on Invasive Species held in Guadeloupe, FWI:

REEF'S VOLUNTEER PROGRAM FOR EARLY DETECTION AND RAPID RESPONSE OF NON-NATIVE MARINE SPECIES
Lad Akins1 and James Morris2
1REEF P O Box 246 Key Largo, FL 33037 US Lad at reef.org 2NOAANational Centers for Coastal Ocean Science 101 Pivers Island Rd Beaufort NC 28516 USA
ABSTRACT
Lionfish (Pterois miles/volitans) have rapidly become established along the east coast of the U.S., Bermuda, Bahamas, and the north-central Caribbean. A nearly perfect invader, lionfish have spread throughout these regions since 2000 and recent studies have demonstrated significant impacts of lionfish on native reef fish communities. The use of volunteers in early detection and rapid response may provide significant aid in slowing the expansion and controlling populations at key locations of high priority. The Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF), a U.S. based NGO, in partnership with NOAA, the USGS, the National Aquarium in Washington D.C., Simon Fraser University, Oregon State University, local dive operators and volunteers has developed methods and materials for outreach, detection, reporting, and response which can serve as a model for downstream countries preparing for the invasion. Volunteer divers and snorkelers are the eyes and ears of the coral reef environment. REEF provides training for these marine enthusiasts in identification and survey techniques and provides materials for them to report their sightings to a central, publicly accessible database (www.reef.org). These data provide a valuable baseline resource and continually updated monitoring information and may be the first line of defense in early detection efforts. Since January 2007, REEF has conducted 15 week-long lionfish projects in the Bahamas. Over 190 volunteers have participated, helping to gather over 1700 specimens for researchers. The protocols developed during these projects provide an example of how volunteer collection teams can be enabled to minimize impacts of lionfish through regular detection and control activities.
KEYWORDS: volunteers, lionfish, fish surveys, stewardship, non-native species
EFFECTS OF THE INVASIVE INDO-PACIFIC LIONFISH (PTEROIS VOLITANS) ON BAHAMIAN CORAL-REEF FISHES: PREDATION AND COMPETITION
Mark Albins and Mark Hixon
Oregon State University, Department of Zoology 3029 Cordley Hall Corvallis, OR 97331 USA albinsm at science.oregonstate.edu
ABSTRACT
The Indo-Pacific lionfish (Pterois volitans), introduced to Florida waters in the early 1990s, is currently spreading rapidly throughout the Caribbean region. This invasive carnivore may cause both direct and indirect deleterious changes in coral-reef ecosystems via predation on native fishes and invertebrates as well as competition with native predators. We are conducting a series of controlled field experiments on a matrix of small patch reefs in the Bahamas to examine the short-term effects of lionfish on native reef fishes. In 2007, lionfish caused significant reductions in the recruitment of native fishes by an average of 79% over a five-week period. Twenty-three of thirty-eight species recruiting to both lionfish-absent (control) reefs and lionfish-present reefs -- including four of five parrotfishes -- were negatively affected by lionfish. This strong effect on a key life stage of a broad variety of coral-reef fishes suggests that invasive lionfish are already having substantial negative impacts on Atlantic coral reefs. In addition to the demonstrated direct predatory effect of lionfish on small fishes, substantial reductions in this important prey resource may indirectly lead to reduced growth and survival of native piscivores. We are currently conducting experiments investigating potential competitive interactions between lionfish and native serranids, including coney and Nassau grouper. We will also present the results of these ongoing investigations.
KEYWORDS: invasive species, community interactions, piscivory, marine fishes, recruitment
THE OCCURRENCE OF LIONFISH (TELEOSTEI: SCORPAENIDAE: PTEROIS SP.) IN CUBAN MARINE WATERS
Hansel Caballero1, Pedro Pablo Chevalier2, and Olaechea Armando2
1Acuario Nacional Cuba Ave.1ra y 60, Miramar, Playa, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba hanselc at acuarionacional.cu 2Acuario Nacional de Cuba Ave.1ra, esq.60, Miramar, Playa Ciudad de la Habana Cuba
ABSTRACT
The natural distribution of the lionfish Pterois volitans (Linnaeus, 1758) includes the Indian and Pacific oceans in a very extensive area. The finding of this fish in American and Caribbean waters is not new, but was confirmed the occurrence in Cuba since June 2007, when it was observed for first time in the southeast region and in August, more specimens were catch in the central North region, reported by Chevalier et al. (2008). At the moment, U. S. Geological Survey (USGS) has in its data base, around 470 reports (http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/collectioninfo.asp.htm) of the occurrence of the lionfish where includes several reports of the 51 from Cuba until July of the 2008. Our goal is to explain the efforts that the Cuban research institutions are doing, to study biological and ecological aspects of the lionfish in Cuban water. These studies are carried out by the National Aquarium of Cuba (http://www.acuarionacional.cu), with the participation of other institutions dedicated to the marine research with the support of the CHM ("Mechanism of Facilitation for information on biodiversity in Cuba") (www.ecosis.cu/chm/chmcuba.htm), the Project PNUD/GEF (Network of Voluntary Monitoring of Early Alert) (alcolado at ama.cu). Among other aspects, the study includes examine and determine the abundance and distribution of the lionfish in different zones from the Cuban archipelago; to implement a program of environmental education and to develop a data base of sighting of the species in Cuba.
KEYWORDS: Nonindigenous species, Scorpaenidae, Marine introductions, Lionfish, Pterois volitans
THE RED LIONFISH INVASION OF SOUTH CAICOS, TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS
John Claydon, Marta Calosso, and Siri Jacob
The School for Field Studies Center for Marine Resource Studies 1 West Street South Caicos, Turks and Caicos Islands jclaydon at fieldstudies.org
ABSTRACT
The first observation of red lionfish (Pterois volitans/miles) in the waters around South Caicos, Turks & Caicos Islands was made in December 2007. From this time until the end of July 2008, lionfish sightings were recorded by staff and students from The School for Field Studies Center for Marine Resource Studies in South Caicos . Twenty-three individuals have been observed. Although effort was made to capture all specimens seen (with 21 individuals captured), sightings represent opportunistic observations made during other activities. All except one were recorded in waters shallower than 2.5m, and specimens have been found in patch reef (n=14), seagrass (n=6), mangrove (n=2), and deep reef (25m; n=1). Although individuals captured ranged in size from 4.1 to 27.7cm TL, all but 2 individuals were <15cm TL. This study documents the invasion of South Caicos by red lionfish, and although the effects of this invasion are unknown, the exponential increase of sightings per month is worrying. Future monitoring will include targeted searches for red lionfish.
KEYWORDS: red lionfish, invasion, Turks & Caicos Islands, ,

PREDICTING THE IMPACT OF INVASIVE LIONFISH (PTEROIS VOLITANS AND P. MILES) ON NATIVE REEF FISH POPULATIONS IN THE CARIBBEAN
Stephanie Green and Isabelle Côté
Simon Fraser University Department of Biological Sciences 8888 University Drive Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 Canada stephanie.green at sfu.ca
ABSTRACT
Indo-Pacific lionfish (Pterois volitans and P. miles) have recently invaded and rapidly spread throughout temperate and tropical Western Atlantic habitats. Lionfish use an ambush strategy to consume whole prey fish and have few predators in their introduced range. To understand the impacts of lionfish on native fish communities in the Bahamas and to predict their impacts on the wider Caribbean, the prey and habitat preferences of lionfish on reefs along the southwest coast of New Providence, Bahamas, were studied. Prey-sized fish density, diversity and size distribution, reef complexity and topography, and lionfish density and habitat preference data were collected from 14 sites varying in habitat types, depths and lionfish densities. From January 2007 to July 2008, 500 lionfish (TL = 50 - 424 mm) were collected from these sites. Stomach content analysis revealed that lionfish prey heavily on many species and size classes of native reef fish. Comparisons of diet to prey availability suggest preferential predation on species with behavioural characteristics and morphologies that increase encounter rate and ease of capture. Furthermore, compared to total available biomass, lionfish consume a considerable amount of prey biomass from the reef. Finally, lionfish density was positively correlated with both reef complexity and relief, and prey-sized fish density. Results indicate that lionfish have the ability to significantly impact native reef fish communities. These findings can be used in conjunction with fish community and habitat profiles from elsewhere in the Caribbean to predict the impact of lionfish as they continue to spread throughout the region.
KEYWORDS: invasive species, lionfish, predation, prey selection, habitat selection

BIOLOGY AND ECOLOGY OF THE INVASIVE LIONFISH, PTEORIS MILES AND PTEROIS VOLITANS
James Morris
NOAA 101 Pivers Island Rd Beaufort, NC 28516 USA james.morris at noaa.gov
ABSTRACT
The Indo-Pacific lionfishes, Pterois volitans and Pterois miles, are now established along the U.S. south east coast, Bermuda, Bahamas, and are presently becoming established in the Caribbean. While the lionfishes are popular in the aquarium trade, little is known regarding the biology and ecology of these species. Given the rapid establishment of lionfish and the potential impacts lionfish may have on native reef fish communities, we set out to describe lionfish reproductive biology, feeding habits, and venomology using laboratory and field observations. Observations of lionfish reproduction indicate that lionfish are iteroparous, asynchronous, indeterminate batch spawners. Lionfish spawning periodicity measurements indicate that lionfish are spawning monthly, with spawning events occurring during most months of the calendar year throughout their invaded range. Laboratory experiments designed to investigate predation on juvenile lionfish indicate that some native reef fishes avoid lionfish as prey, likely due to their venom defence. Lionfish stomach content analyses reveal that lionfish are preying mostly on crustaceans and small-bodied forage fishes including commercially and recreationally important snapper and grouper. These efforts are providing new insight regarding the integrated biology and ecology of the non-native lionfish and further demonstrate the need for aggressive early detection and rapid response efforts in the marine environment.
KEYWORDS: Pteoris miles, Pterois volitans, lionfish

INDO - PACIFIC LIONFISH INVASION IN BAHAMAS: A CASE STUDY OF RESEARCH, OUTREACH AND MANAGEMENT PLANNING
Kathleen Sullivan Sealey1, Nicola SMITH2, Lakeisha Anderson3, and Deon Stewart 4
1University of Miami Department of Biology P.O. Box 249118 Coral Gables, Fl 33124 USA ksealey at miami.edu 2Department of ZoologyUniversity of British Columbia 3Department of Marine ResourcesNassau, Bahamas 4Bahamas Environment Science and Technology CommissionNassau, Bahamas
ABSTRACT
The invasion of the Indo-Pacific lionfish to Bahamian waters raises considerable concern due to the uncertainty of its ecological impacts and its potential threats to commercial fisheries, tourism and human safety.. Lionfish have been reported throughout the archipelago and are the focus of several research and monitoring initiatives. The Bahamas has a National Invasive Species Strategic Plan, but marine invaders require unique partnerships to gather and collate information, launch educational initiatives, and develop realistic management options. The Government of The Bahamas has limited funds to address major resource management issues; hence, collaboration with non-governmental agencies, and tertiary education institutions is imperative.. The lionfish invasion has created a novel opportunity for the formation of innovative public-private partnerships to address the ecological, social and economic impacts of biological invaders.
KEYWORDS: Lionfish, Invasion, reefs

Robert Glazer
Associate Research Scientist
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
2796 Overseas Hwy., Ste. 119
Marathon, FL 33050
305-289-2330; 305-289-2334 (fax)