[Coral-List] Control of lionfish

Tupper, Mark (WorldFish) M.Tupper at CGIAR.ORG
Wed May 6 22:31:34 EDT 2009

Andrew,

I think that is quite possibly the case. Lionfish appear to be habitat generalists - they are just as likely to appear around artificial structures (wrecks, piers, rigs, etc.) as on reefs - anything that provides shade and a surface against which to trap their prey.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov on behalf of andrew ross
Sent: Wed 5/6/2009 9:42 PM
To: Coral List
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Control of lionfish

Will and Mark,
My question was a little leading- do you suppose that the lack of this elaborate/extensive refuge habitat may somehow be facilitating the success/spread of this invader and its eventual impact, particularly on artisanal reef-fisheries?
To rephrase Mark's observations- a tractor can't corner rabbits against a cattle fence.