[Coral-List] Seeking Marine Park Manager for Saba
phoetjes at gmail.com
Tue May 19 11:34:46 EDT 2009
Great job opportunity on the small but beautiful island of Saba, in the
Please contact Saba Conservation Foundation directly via address
Apologies for cross posting.
*NATIONAL PARKS MANAGER*
The Saba Conservation Foundation (SCF), a nonprofit nature management
organization based in Saba, Netherlands Antilles is seeking a National
Parks Manager to manage the Saba National Marine Park plus a land park.
The SCF has five full time staff to support field, operational and
administrative aspects of the organization. The incumbent will be
responsible for the overall management of the organization, staff and
- Institutional Development: Responsible for overall integrity of the
organization: Preparation of budgets, action plans, and work programs;
manages and supervises staff and volunteers, financial management and
reporting, compliance and development of SCF Manual Procedures,
Implementation of Strategic Planning, compliance and development of
nature legislation and national park management plans.
- Fundraising, Grant writing, Income Generation: Responsible for all
fundraising and grant writing from established sources, manage donor
relations, strengthen income generating capacity to collect user fees,
promote souvenir sales and develop new income generating g opportunities.
*Supervision and Compliance*
- Operational management: Oversees all aspects of pa ark operational
activities including maintenance of SCF assets (boat, truck, moorings,
machine, compressors, scuba gear, decompression chamber etc) staff and
budgetary m management.
- Legislation: Monitoring, Compliance and Inputting Responsible to
ensure compliance with h existing nature legislation reports on
violations and proposes new rules/legislation.
- Marketing and Public Relations: Responsible for managing stakeholder
relations (especially island government and local NGOs) promoting the
organization and its objectives, maintaining website and all public
information, providing and developing, user Information for national parks.
- Education and Awareness: Supervises education and awareness program to
stimulate public awareness and education campaigns on major
environmental issues, in particular issues related to protected areas
- Project Design a and Execution: Supervises the design and execution of
all projects in accordance with Project Management procedures. Reports
to the Board on project progress.
- Hyperbaric Chamber: Serves as technical and safety director of the
Saba Hyperbaric Facility (SHF) and is responsible for compliance with
DAN safety standards, supervision of facility maintenance and staff/
volunteer training. Training provided.
- Monitoring, Data Collection and Analysis (quality control): Oversees
monitoring programs in accordance with monitoring procedures and
protocols, supervises collection of relevant data on status and use of
indicated habitats within Park boundaries. Interprets data to support
proposals for policy interventions or amendments, increase public
awareness, use in public reports, etc.
- Database: Maintains a database for Parks management on key indicators.
- Research: Responsible for prioritizing research needs In accordance
with partners, arrange resourcing for research, determine relevance of
research requests for organization, assess logistical requirements,
prepare research frameworks (MoU or TOR) and inform all stakeholders,
supervision of researchers/ consultants, ensure all regulations are
compiled with and permission granted by authorities as relevant.
- Reports to the Board on all issues pertaining to SCF management and
stakeholder relations. Responsible for all reporting obligations to
donors and stakeholders.
- Represents the SCF on the Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance Board (DCNA)
and at regional conferences, meetings and forums.
- Seven + years of organizational management experience preferably with
nature management, national park or related organization.
- Masters degree in marine biology, coastal management, natural sciences
or related environmental sciences.
- Advanced diving experience. Some commercial diving experience an
- Technical skills in boat handling, navigation and marine protocols.
- Strong understanding of project management methodologies, tools and
- Strong Communication skills (written and oral), fluency In English.
Dutch an advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of management, organization or operational procedures
- Experience with use of decompression chamber an advantage Training
- Experience working in small island states also an advantage.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Johanna vant Hof (Chairperson),
Saba Conservation Foundation,
PO Box 18, The Bottom, Saba,
Or e-mail to johanna at julianas-hotel.com .
Closing date: June 30th 2009.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please review website www.sabapark.org. See also www.dcnanature.org
Paul C. Hoetjes
Senior Policy Advisor
Department of Environment & Nature (MINA)
Ministry of Public Health & Social Development (VSO)
Schouwburgweg 26 (APNA building)
tel. +(599-9)466-9307; fax: +(599-9)461-0254
e-mail: paul at mina.vomil.an
-- http://mina.vomil.an --
More information about the Coral-List