[Coral-List] Posting regarding DEET being detrimental to corals

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue May 19 11:26:42 EDT 2009

Dear List,

Am I the only one who finds it curious that a Marine Park imposed a ban
on something without having a basis for that ban??  Is this DEET issue
anything like the lead weight issue?  (You may recall that, about a year
or 2 ago at least one marine park was considering a ban on uncoated lead
weights because of fear of lead dissolving in the ocean.)

I fear that marine park rules with little or no scientific basis will
possibly lead to a public perception that all rules are frivolous.

John Ware

West End Sandy Bay Marine Park wrote:

>The Roatan Marine Park has always informed its visitors  that they should not wear DEET and then enter the sea as it proves to be toxic and damaging for the reef and its inhabitants.
>We are now being questioned and would like to provide people with scientific evidence to back our claims. Please provide us with links high lighting the detrimental effects that DEET had on corals, fish, crustaceans etc
>Thank you
>
>Roatan Marine Park
>
>Promoting Research, Conservation and Education on Roatan

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
    *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
    *                       301 987-8507                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                     fax: 301 987-8531                     *
    *                          Past                             *
    *             Treasurer and Member of the Council:          *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.fit.edu/isrs/