[Coral-List] Questions - Measuring Acropora

Sebastian Striewski sebastian.striewski at rub.de
Thu May 28 12:26:39 EDT 2009

Dear V. Pizarro,

an easy way to calculate a planar area might be done with a modified
point intersept transect taking pictures and analysing them using the
software CPCe from Kohler et al 2006,
http://www.nova.edu/ocean/cpce/   using thefunction "planar area analysis".
This very helpfull software allows to calibrate images taken during a
transect and analysing areas computer based.
We used this method in the Red Sea just recently. A simple plastic 1m2
frame was positioned along a linetransect every 5meter and detailed
pictures taken from the area underlying the frame. Back in the
laboratory those pictures were than easily analysed with the mentioned
software and data exported towards Excel from Windows.
Besides very good to hear from recovering Acropora palmata!

Greetings, Striewski