[Coral-List] Questions - Measuring Acropora

andrew ross andyroo_of72 at yahoo.com
Fri May 29 09:50:32 EDT 2009

Valeria,As Sebastian has suggested, CPCe is a nice way to start.Version 3.6 has an "accumulated lengths" feature. It's very good (and quicker/easier) for branching thickets, though it won't give you % cover. A hollow PVC graduated scale-pole should be light enough to not break branches, but will be a headache in rough weather. If you can stay very still in taking pictures, wait for a bright, clear day and have at least 7-Megapixels in your camera, you should be able to take >1.5mx1m photos (over the scale-pole) and see branches and some detail of disease, predation etc... Figuring out the genets might be more difficult, but different genets will often look a little different, particularly if side-by-side for comparison. That can at least be a start.