[Coral-List] coral reef ecosystem protection

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Mon Nov 2 12:44:04 EST 2009

Folks,

	I guess it was inevitable that local coral reef ecosystem protection
and management would eventually become secondary to addressing a global
issue (climate change), as if a relative handful of reef scientists could
result in a change in human behavior that got us in this mess.  I never
meant to demean or blame reef scientists (and definitely not teachers) for
anything, I just reacted to the expressions of amazement by others here when
it was announced that the #s of believers (and I'm a believer) are now
actually declining and that reef scientists getting the word out about
threats to reefs worldwide  wasn't enough to turn global beliefs around.
For several reasons scientists don't wield the power and influence they
think they do, they just use up most of the available money. As suggested by
others, and based on my 35 years of agency and conservation work, I too
believe the system is broken.

	But here's a thought.  If you really believe that threats exist to
reef ecosystems do what concerned advocates and scientist/advocates try to
do every day with their limited funding and resources.  Every time in an
region of reef ecosystems you hear of a local proposal to deepen a harbor or
widen a navigation channel, build or expand a cruise ship port, locate an
industrial facility or a huge subdivision in a low-lying coastal area,
change zoning or expand urban boundaries into sensitive areas, "renourish" a
beach,  build more nuclear reactors on the coast, deal with large volumes
(millions gpd) of sewage on small islands in reef habitat by using injection
wells that only extend 60 feet deep, expand a commercial marina, create new
navigation channels through shallow seagrass habitat, and the like get in
your car (or carpool) and go to the meetings where decisions are made and
speak up - like true advocates do.  Write a strong letter or a bunch of
letters and use that great e-technology, make a bunch of phone calls. Learn
the law.  Address issues like cumulative impacts, organize others and don't
let up. Don't just go to the "big" meetings, got to them all.  Volunteer to
help out the groups of your choice and don't hesitate to volunteer to
testify with all your expertise (the learning of which was typically paid
for with taxpayer $$$) when push comes to shove and true advocates end up in
court fighting the good fight.

	Research institutions and universities have millions and millions of
$$$ to spend while environmental law clinics and local civic and
conservation groups go begging for $$$. But believe me that's where the
action is and that's where gains are made. We have the science we need and
have had for a number of years.

	Stressors and impacts are widespread and increasing but the status
quo seems to be OK with many in government.  Sanctuaries and national parks
and refuges haven't begun to keep up with the increasing stressors by
implementing new protective measures (not shifting the baselines) even
though that should be the standard, and leads to the belief by many that the
system is broken. Many with knowledge to effect change spend most of their
time sucking up to funding sources, and once funding starts the ability to
disagree or argue a contrary position (and debate IS healthy) is typically
lost. The go along to get along mentality is extremely damaging to natural
resources everywhere and I refuse to play.

	Let's protect coral reef ecosystems on a local level, not get lost
trying to solve the world's problems and then pitch a fit and go home when
we can't.  If I insulted any educators I apologize.  And I get nauseated
also - just for different reasons.

	Thanks for listening and see you at those meetings and legal
proceedings.  And as far as "scientists are voices crying in the
wilderness", the main problem is that only scientists really believe that.

Curtis Kruer