[Coral-List] Epoxy or cement for transplanting coral. (IvanaKenny)

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Nov 11 09:43:22 EST 2009

I missed the posted question, but Keith is correct that epoxy is for
specialized applications in coral rehabilitation and is typically used for
only for temporary attachment of fragments (when they will base themselves
to more stable substrates) and not for adult colonies.

Hydrolic cement is normally required for larger colonies, although the
method can be quite labor intensive.  Some alternatives include genetic
rescue of the coral colonies combined with complexity and
footprint rehabilitation with designed artificial reef modules
or mechanical anchoring of very large colonies.

There is a full glossary of tools, methods, and types of epoxies that can be
used (in the situations where it is appropriate since some epoxies are
actually toxic to corals) in our Step by Step Guide to Reef Rehabilitation
which can be found on our website free of charge at www.reefball.org under
the menu item "Reef Building" then "Step by Step".

We have found over the years that so many people try to replicate other
peoples methods without understanding them (such as using hydrolic cement or
epoxy putties interchangeably) that Keith is correct...you NEED to get
someone involved with your project that is trained and certified in handling
live corals.  Normally, when our CORAL team undertakes these kind of
projects, we typically find that the correct solution is not one method but
a combination of many different methods based on coral species, sizes,
depths, and a host of other factors that determine what REALLY needs to be
done to be successful.

-Todd Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation