[Coral-List] About Coral List rewrite

EAH mechers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:37:28 EST 2009

Gene, as one who wanted the list to stay focused on science, I fail to see
why you are dragging your views on non-coral-related US politics into this.
And on an international listserv, no less.

Jim, I think the rewrite more accurately describes the types of
conversations being had here.  Whether the content of those conversations is
appropriate is something that each member will have an opinion on.  I like
it, personally.  Scientific communication is a subject near and dear to my
heart and its successful practice is predicated on examining the
intersections of society and science.

Best,
Em

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Jim Hendee <jim.hendee at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi, Gene,
>
>    Not sure why the political jab at the U.S. constitution, but
> certainly I never intended to carve the "About" page in aragonite.
> Regarding "subjects" vs. "science," I guess it seemed obvious to me that
> the subjects were areas of actual research, for the most part.  I work
> for NOAA, so call me guilty of referring to "climate change," "land-base
> sources of pollution," and "over-fishing" as a sampling of "research"
> that we and many others conduct daily.  A rose by any other name...
> Those other "subjects" such as disease, reproduction, etc. seem to me to
> be areas of valid science, and what's the harm if a non-scientist throws
> in an observation or six and calls it something besides "science?"
> What's your beef?  I don't get it.  Are you miffed because science is
> getting short shrift in your opinion?  The agencies who fund science
> aren't going to hold back the purse strings if the author of the
> proposal doesn't use the word "science" in it.
>
>    However, thanks for the input and I'll see if I can throw that token
> in there more to assuage anybody else's sense of the world of science
> lost to politics or whatever else.
>
>    Jim
>
> Eugene Shinn wrote:
> > Jim, The US constitution is being rewritten almost everyday so I
> > guess its is ok to rewrite the purposes of the coral-list. Under the
> > heading  "Appropriate coral reef ecosystem-related subjects" I see
> > that what we used to call science is now called "subjects"
> > Of the 20 bulleted topics I see only one uses the word science. But
> > its your call.  Gene

"You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its width and depth."