[Coral-List] Public perceptions about climate change

Tupper, Mark (WorldFish) M.Tupper at CGIAR.ORG
Wed Oct 28 20:30:03 EDT 2009

I'll second John's opinion. In addition to the last ICRS, take a look at
the Coral Triangle Initiative. Six national governments, pretty much all
of the big conservation NGO's, and most of the major academic
institutions in the SE Asian region (plus more in the USA and Australia)
working with the Global Environment Facility, Asian Development Bank,
and USAID, all sharing the same pot of money.

These days, scientists can only succeed through a high degree of
collaboration and fund-sharing.

Mark Tupper

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
[mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of John Bruno
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:07 PM
To: Curtis Kruer
Cc: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Public perceptions about climate change

Curtis, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  You
clearly have some pent up distain for scientists.

I frequently see and hear such general loathing of science and
scientists from skeptics and the public in general.  More evidence of
the success of the well-documeted "Republican war on science".

I don't see any pedestals from where I am sitting (in a grungy coffee
shop).  Cross-collaboration, fund-sharing and mutual respect and
bidirectional information flow are the norm in coral reef science, at
least in my experience.   Perhaps you didn't attend the last ICRS, but
all that and much more was beyond obvious.  I, just for example, just
co-wrote a proposal to do very applied reef fisheries ecology with Mel
(and we are collaborating on a variety of MPA-related projects in
Belize), co-authored a paper with two colleagues from TNC, another
with colleagues at NOAA and AIMS, and just submitted another proposal
spearheaded by WCS.   I can barely keep tract of all my NGO, federal
agency and academic collaborators around the world. Maybe this isn't
the way things always were in the field, but now, we are in large
part, working in a pretty coordinated way.

Even if you were right, I don't see how the recently documented shift
in public opinion about AGW could be attributable to a failure to
"share funding" (as if there is so much sloshing around...), work
together, etc.

JB

http://www.co2science.org/subject/c/calcification.php