[Coral-List] Public perceptions about climate change

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Fri Oct 30 03:00:09 EDT 2009

Thanks for the very interesting observations, Mark!!
    I work in American Samoa, which has a population of about 65,000 people.
I've often heard it said that we are so small that anything we do will have
no effect.  I've also heard it said that the small island nations that will
suffer the most are the least to blame.
    After thinking about it, I realized that any group of 65,000 people
anywhere in the world can say the same thing- oh we are so small that
anything we do will have almost no effect.  Any other group of a small size
can say the same thing, a city block in any big city or a small town or
village in the countryside anywhere.
     If we all say that, we will not avoid some pretty nasty climate change.
Kiss our reefs (as we know them)  goodby.  So we all have to do our part, no
matter how small an island, village, or block in a city.  Let's get to work
on it.
     (And 3 cheers for the priest giving a sermon on it in church!  Many
people listen to their religious leaders.  That's a real leader.  Aren't we
supposed to be good stewards, entrusted with the earth, to take good care of
it for future generations?  We aren't doing very well.)
    Doug