[Coral-List] Public perceptions about climate change

John Bruno jbruno at unc.edu
Thu Oct 29 16:19:04 EDT 2009

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:11:28 -0400
> From: "David M. Lawrence" <dave at fuzzo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Public perceptions about climate change
> To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

> I wish John would name names at The New York Times.  The science
> writers
> I know there, especially Andrew Revkin, generally do a solid job
> reporting on science and environmental issues.

Hello David,

The homepage for my browser is Andrew Revkin's DotEarth blog. I think
he is a brilliant communicator and journalist and we have corresponded
in the past on non-climate coral reef issues.  But, he is an example
of a journalist that has wrongly interpreted the global temperature
record as indicating a pause in warming:

"...building momentum for an international climate treaty at a time
when global temperatures have been relatively stable for a decade and
may even drop in the next few years. The plateau in temperatures has
been seized upon by skeptics as evidence that the threat of global
warming is overblown."   -  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/science/earth/23cool.htm?_r=1

But there is in fact no plateau (or no cooling).  NOAA, NASA, the MET,
etc have all said recently that we have seen continued warming, even
during the last decade, even though 1998 was a very warm year and 2008
was very cool.  You can read about this here:   http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/10/a-warming-pause/#more-1265

Revkin's comments in blog posts and in the print NYT have been picked
up by various conservative pundants such as George Will, as evidence
that even the liberal media concedes there is a pause in warming or
even a cooling, e.g., http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/30/AR2009093003569.html

Will, and many others such as Glen Beck and Sean Hannity, extended
this already virulent meme in mid September by wildly twisting the
words of Mojib Latif to suggest that he now rejects AGW.  Take a look
at Peter Sinclair's great YouTube video about the development of this
meme in the mainstream media here:   http://www.climateshifts.org/?p=3364

Note this phenomena is really more analogous to media lies about Al
Gore "He claimed he  invented the internet" (he didn't) than to the
examples you allude to below.  This isn't a matter of the media not
covering science, of science illiteracy, of scientists not wanting to
talk to the media, not knowing how to communicate effectively, of the
issue being too complex, newspapers not having enough money, reporters
wanting both sides of every story, etc, etc.

It is simply a media lie.  An urban myth.  A viral meme that gets
quickly propagated through mass media.  Once it is out there, it is
virtually impossible to ever correct.  Just think of what happened to
poor John Kerry in 2004.

The "the earth is cooling" / "global warming has paused" memes or
denier crocks developed in the last 6-12 months and now tens (if not
hundreds) of millions of Americans believe one of them.

I agree for many environmental issues, local and national NGOs and
true advocacy groups, grass roots and primary school education and
even talking to our friends and changing our own behaviors as examples
can all be effective.  For this specific issue though, i.e., public
perception about trends in global temperature, I don't think that is
the case.  All these often successful actions are being drowned out by
a pretty small handful of people with massive numbers of listeners and
viewers.