[Coral-List] CO2 science

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Fri Oct 30 21:15:32 EDT 2009

I have very much enjoyed reading this thread, particularly the views
and comments of John Bruno, Ove, Alina, Joanie, Mike Risk, Mary Toy,
and many others. I, unfortunately share what I think most of us do - a
realistic pessimism that we will face too little, too late as an end
to this issue. But, that said, I could not and will not concede defeat
to the deniers, the willfully or accidentally uninformed, the
astroturfers, the Fox News viewers. Not in my work in science, in
outreach, in education (especially of the young who most amendable to
fostering of an environmental ethic), nor to those who are simply
confused and seeking answers.  So, with that in mind, I wanted to
inject a few optimistic quotes to keep our collective fires burning.

change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret
Mead

"The starting point for a better world is the belief that it is
possible." Norman Cousins

"The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in
having new eyes." Marcel Proust

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an
inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day." E.B. White

"All things are possible once enough human beings realize that
everything is at stake.” Norman Cousins

"The future is literally in our hands to mold as we like. But we
cannot wait until tomorrow. Tomorrow is now." Eleanor Roosevelt

"There are no such things as great deeds -- only small ones done with
great heart." Mother Theresa

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can." John Wesley

"We do make a difference -- one way or the other. We are responsible
for the impact of our lives. Whatever we do with whatever we have, we
leave behind us a legacy for those who follow." Stephen Covey

"In a gentle way you can shake the world." Mahatma Gandhi

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it." Mahatma Gandhi

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other
time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that
we seek." Barack Obama

"If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep
walking, eventually you'll make progress." Barack Obama

Eric Borneman
Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry
University of Houston