[Coral-List] Immediate Post Doc position for student of any nationality

Keshavmurthy shashank iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 10:59:56 EDT 2009

Dear Listers
(Please pass it on to those who are interested)

I am posting this on behalf of Dr. Allen Chen, Coral Reef Evolutionary
Ecology and Genetics Lab (http://coral.biodiv.tw/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx
), Biodiversity Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taiwan

There is an immediate opening for 1 Post Doc position at Dr. Allen
Chen's lab to work on the physiology of 2 coral species; Galaxea
fascicularis and Platygyra verweyi

Academia Sinica (http://www.sinica.edu.tw/main_e.shtml)is the
prestigious scientific institution in Taiwan and Dr. Chen's lab has
been working on various aspects of coral reef ecology and evolutionary
genetics.  Presently there is an ongoing program on coral physiology
to understand the role of host and symbiont (zooxanthellae) in the
holobiont physiology both in natural environments and simulated
environments.
This lab is dealing with physiology of a number of model coral species
including the above 2 species
Some preliminary work on the symbiont dynamics in these 2 species is
being carried out by graduate students.
The Post Doc joining this lab will be continuing the present work that
is being carried out on these 2 species.
Work involves carrying out physiology experiments to understand the
role of host and symbiont in relation to environmental factors.  The
recruit will be expected to carry out aquarium tank experiments,
transplantation experiments and carry out physiological analysis (PAM,
chlorophyll pigments, Zooxanthellae typing and abundance, Stress
proteins) using basic techniques as well as qPCR

Qualified phd students (with degree in Marine Biology, Marine
Sciences, Oceanography or related fields) with experience of working
on coral physiology (set up of tank experiments, field transplantation
experiments as well as molecular and biochemical analysis) are
encouraged to apply

This will be both field and lab based research

The position will be for 2 years (yearly contract) and the recruit
will be based in Taipei, Taiwan.  Salary will be approximately 55,000
New Taiwan Dollars (approximately US $ 1,674) per month

Position will be filled as soon as suitable candidate will be found.

If you need any more information about the details of the project,
please contact either; cac at gate.sinica.edu.tw or shashank at gate.sinica.edu.tw

Interested candidates may send their CV, present research and relevant
publications (if any) to this address ; cac at gate.sinica.edu.tw and/or acropora.chen at gmail.com

Regards
shashank

Whether our efforts are, or not, favored by life, let us be able to
say, when we come near the great goal,I have done what I could - Louis
Pasteur

Role of Infinitely Small in Nature is Infinitely Large - Louis Pasteur
Keshavmurthy Shashank
NSC Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Dr. Chen's lab
Biodiversity Research Center, Academia Sinica (BRCAS), 128 Academia
Road Sec. 2, Nankang, Taipei 115 Taiwan, ROC.
My WebPage: http://web.mac.com/coralresearch/iWeb/shashank/Welcome.html
Lab WebPage: http://coral.biodiv.tw/Default.aspx
Alt. E-mail: iamshanky15 at yahoo.com, coralresearch at mac.com