[Coral-List] Vacancy Announcement: Coastal Watershed GIS Specialist
chris.jeffrey at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 10 11:42:42 EDT 2009
*Vacancy Announcement*: Coastal Watershed GIS Specialist
*Educational Level*: Masters Degree or equivalent experience
*Location*: Silver Spring, Maryland
*Agency*: NOAA's Center for Coastal Monitoring & Assessment
*Start Date*: Immediate
*This is not a federal position. The successful candidate will work
full-time under a Consolidated Safety Services, Inc. (CSS) contract. The
candidate will be hired for the NOAA office in Silver Spring, MD.
A person with a degree in biological and/or physical sciences, with
demonstrated experience in marine biology and ecology is being sought
for a full-time contract position with the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Center for Coastal Monitoring and
Assessment (CCMA). CCMA is developing interdisciplinary methods for
assessing the impacts of land based sources of pollution on coral reef
ecosystems. The successful candidate will contribute to CCMA research
that defines conservation and management options for watersheds and
associated coastal ecosystems and will have the following core
- Provide GIS and modeling support to projects assessing the impacts of
land-based sources of pollution on coral reef ecosystems.
- Compile, develop, maintain and distribute spatial data for the
creation of watershed characterizations and/or management plans.
- Coordinate efforts across multidisciplinary, team-oriented research
and management groups.
- M.S. or equivalent experience in Environmental Science, Hydrology,
Landscape Ecology, Spatial Ecology, Environmental Engineering,
Geography, Biology or a related field
- Strong experience in Geographic Information Systems, especially ArcGIS
- Experience in the development and/or application of watershed or water
quality models (e.g. SWAT, HSPF, BASINS, AnnAGNPS, etc.)
- Ability to organize and maintain large amounts of spatial and tabular
data for both terrestrial and marine ecosystems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate with
diverse audiences, especially through technical reports, peer-reviewed
publications and scientific conferences
- Relevant work experience in spatial hydrologic modeling.
- Experience conducting water quality field assessments to characterize
pollution sources and/or validate water resource models.
- Experience working in watersheds with diverse land uses (e.g.,
agricultural, urban, or forested) in coastal watersheds adjacent to
coral reef ecosystems.
- Knowledge of experimental sampling design.
- Past participation in the creation of regional and/or local watershed
- Experience in writing proposals for funding.
- Programming experience (e.g., Python and VB in water related fields.
- Familiarity with interactive mapping technologies, - GoogleMaps,
ArcGIS Server, etc.
- Ability to manage large datasets in relational databases or data
- Experience in using remote sensing software applications, (e.g., ENVI,
ERDAS and/or PCI) to process and extract relevant watershed information
from satellite imagery and aerial photography.
- Familiarity with the ecology of coral reef ecosystems.
CSS, Inc.'s benefits for full-time employees includes Medical/Dental
Insurance, Disability and Life Insurance, 401K, and Employee Stock
Ownership Plans (ESOPs).
Please email resume and salary requirements to
spjobs at consolidatedsafety.com by September 25, 2009. Please include the
words "Coastal Watershed GIS Specialist" in the subject line of your
Applications can also be submitted online at
Chris Jeffrey (CJ)
Christopher F.G. Jeffrey, Ph.D
Marine Ecologist (Biogeography Branch)
On-Site Contract Manager (Consolidated Safety Services, Inc.)
Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment
National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
National Ocean Service
1305 East-West Hwy, SSMC-4, N/SCI-1, #9213
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3281
301.713.3028 x-134 (Tel)
More information about the Coral-List