[Coral-List] Bleaching in the Mexican Caribbean

Rosa Rodríguez rosaer at cmarl.unam.mx
Fri Sep 25 11:37:22 EDT 2009

Coral-Listers,

An intense bleaching event is also occurring along the Mexican Caribbean
Coast. Our first observations of pale corals was done in May in Akumal
reef, with 7% of the colonies showing pale coloration at a depth of
10-15m. By June, 9% of the colonies were bleached-pale in Mahahual Reef at
the same depth. By July, 32% of the colonies were bleached-pale in Punta
Allen reef.

At present, (August-September) surveys at Puerto Morelos reef show that
41% of the colonies were bleached and 31% of them were completely white.
Surveys were done at a depth of 4-8m.

The number of colonies sampled at each site was over 2000. Almost all
scleractinian species showed bleaching signs, as well as some gorgonians,
Milleporas and zoanthids.

We will continue monitoring this event and possible disease outbreaks.

Best regards,

MC. Rosa Rodríguez-Martínez
Lab. Sistemas Arrecifales
Unidad Académica de Sistemas Arrecifales
ICMyL, UNAM
Puerto Morelos, Q. Roo, México
Tel. 52 (998) 87 102 19 xt. 128
Fax. 52 (998) 87 101 38