[Coral-List] Coralimorph problem in Palmyra

Albert Norstrom albert at ecology.su.se
Wed Apr 7 09:15:43 EDT 2010

Hi Forest and all others,

We're currently undergoing experiments on Zanzibar to discern the
potential drivers (N,P,Fe exposure or loss of top-down control) of
corallimorph expansions. One interesting, and unexpected, observation by
my master student (who's on site) is that corallimorphs in experimental
plots on the reef were predated by a species of seastar. Communication
with her is sporadic and so I haven't received photos or any detailed
identification of the critters responsible, but I could do so as soon as
I receive more info.

Corallimorpharian dominated reefs were one of the persistent alternative
states we identified in a MEPS review from last year
(http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps_oa/m376p295.pdf).

Best regards,
Albert

Forest Rohwer wrote:
> The reef around a wreck of the longliner on Palmyra is doing really poorly.
> A coralimorph (Rhodactis) has completely taken over the area.  The colonies
> cover over 80% of the benthos, independently of what was underneath.  The
> concerning part is that it is spreading rapidly across the shallow western
> terrace of the island.  The spread is really quick and it is starting to
> invade some of the most beautiful and intact reefs left on the island.
>
> Jim Maragos has an article on this:
> http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0002989
>
> Ideas about how to kill the coralimorph would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Forest Rohwer

Albert Norström, PhD
Stockholm Resilience Centre & Albaeco
Stockholm University