[Coral-List] Medetomidine Antifouling Activities & Coral

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Tue Aug 17 08:30:50 EDT 2010

I have been reading the literature about medetomidine and understand it
inhibits the settlement of barnicles and some types of tube worms (and is
being used in some antifouling paints).  My question is if anyone has any
experience with medetomidine & hard coral settlement.  My thought is that if
medetomidine does not inhibit hard corals, it might be used as a possible
additive to artificial reefs deployed too early in the season before coral
spawning time when barnacles can sometimes colonize the units and prevent
hard corals from getting a good settlement rate.  If anyone has any
information on this topic please forward it to me....thanks!

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court