[Coral-List] Symposium: Solving the Mystery of MPA Performance (Washington, DC; Nov 5, 2010)

Helen Fox hfox at hawaii.edu
Fri Aug 27 15:06:38 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

I invite those of you interested in the social and ecological
dimensions of marine conservation to join us in November at the
Kathryn Fuller Science for Nature Symposium.

If you have questions, please contact Niloofar Ganjian at
<mailto:FullerFund at wwfus.org>FullerFund at wwfus.org

Please share with others who might be interested.  Apologies in
advance for cross-posting.

Best,

Helen

Helen E. Fox, Ph.D.
Senior Marine Scientist | Conservation Science Program | World Wildlife Fund
1250 24th Street NW | Washington, DC 20037 USA | +1.202.495.4793 |
Fax: +1.202.293.9211 |
<mailto:helen.fox at wwfus.org>helen.fox at wwfus.org | www.worldwildlife.org/science

World Wildlife Fund's Kathryn Fuller Science for Nature Symposium

Solving the Mystery of MPA Performance

Date: November 5th, 2010

For more information and pre-registration details:
<http://www.worldwildlife.org/science/fellowships/fuller/fuller-symposium-2010.html>http://www.worldwildlife.org/science/fellowships/fuller/fuller-symposium-2010.html

Location: Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, DC

WWF is proud to announce the 5th annual Kathryn Fuller Science for
Nature Symposium, Solving the Mystery of MPA Performance: new
perspectives on a familiar topic. Marine protected areas (MPAs) have
been an integral component of local, national, and international
strategies for fisheries management and biodiversity conservation for
decades, yet many aspects of MPA implementation and impacts remain
uncertain.  WWF is hosting a 1 day international symposium on
November 5, where we will review the state of the science of Marine
Protected Areas as a foundation for both science-based policy and
policy-relevant science.

As the conservation community strives to ensure ecological and social
effectiveness of MPAs, WWF will promote an honest discussion on what
works, what doesn't and why.  We will host leading scholars and
practitioners in the field to both provide insights for conservation
action and identify gaps in areas requiring further research, by
synthesizing the knowledge gained from the latest cutting edge
research.  We will delve into and illuminate areas of uncertainty on
three major topics: 1) Ecological frontiers such as spillover,
connectivity, and MPAs for pelagic species; 2) Social frontiers, such
as the role of governance in implementation and socioeconomic impacts
of MPAs; and 3) Opportunities to push the frontiers of MPA science
through impact evaluation and other novel research methods.

In so doing, we will provide state-of-the-art scientific information
on a core marine conservation strategies, both during the Symposium
and through follow-up papers and policy briefs summarizing key
insights, knowledge gaps, and rules of thumb for moving forward
despite those gaps.
Interested in attending?
<http://wwf.worldwildlife.org/site/Survey?ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS&SURVEY_ID=5760>Pre-register
now<http://wwf.worldwildlife.org/site/Survey?ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS&SURVEY_ID=5760>