[Coral-List] Media and Oil Spill Science

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 14:15:36 EDT 2010

Realizing that there is a spirited consensus (based on remarks
posted in previous discussions) that we keep this list from becoming
politically charged, I would like to momentarily step between adversaries
involved in the discussion on the media and oil spill science.

My fear is that without modification we may ultimately lose
the opportunity to candidly discuss issues that are in vital need
of being aired among members of this forum.

Considering that there is an obvious call for scientists to communicate
more directly with the public on so many contemporary issues,
although fully unauthorized, I would like to make a suggestion.

When participants are identifying themselves (by citing credentials)
it might help to avoid undue controversy (and the associated
animus this sometimes creates) if they would freely reveal any
affiliations that might reflect even the potential for a conflict of interest.

In this way, perhaps we can assure the continuation of these much needed
and valued discussions and, at the same time, be able to more accurately
assess and evaluate the opinions expressed without eliciting resentment.

Steve Mussman
Totally void of credentials worthy of mention.
Just an old diver and self-avowed ocean and marine life advocate.