[Coral-List] La Nina and global warming (ashley grimmer)

Bruno, John F jbruno at unc.edu
Fri Dec 3 12:40:34 EST 2010

Hi Ash, here are a few refs (the first two open access) that address this.  The second ref describes an experiment that explores how warming affects food web dynamics and structure and the response of microbes, plants and animal grazers in a model plankton system.

JB

Bruno, J. F., E. R. Selig, K. S. Casey, C. A. Page, B. L. Willis, C. D. Harvell, H. Sweatman, and A. M. Melendy. 2007. Thermal stress and coral cover as drivers of coral disease outbreaks. PLoS Biology 5:e124.

O’Connor, M. I., M. F. Piehler, D. Leech, A. Anton, and J. F. Bruno. 2009.. Warming and resource availability shift food web structure and metabolism.. PLoS Biology 7:e1000178.

Harvell, C. D., S. Altizer, I. M. Cattadori, L. Harrington, and E. Weil. 2009. Climate change and wildlife diseases: when does the host matter the most? . Ecology 90:912–920

Ward, J. R., K. Kim, and C. D. Harvell. 2007. Temperature affects coral disease resistance and pathogen growth. Marine Ecology Progress Series 329:115-121.

Harvell, C. D., C. E. Mitchell, J. R. Ward, S. Altizer, A. P. Dobson, R. S. Ostfeld, and M. D. Samuel. 2002. Climate warming and disease risks for terrestrial and marine biota. Science 296:2158-2162.