[Coral-List] Lionfish update from St. Croix, US Virgin Islands

MelissaE Keyes melissae.keyes at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 10:31:11 EST 2010

Hello, Listers,

Just thought I'd drop in and report that our Lionfish population seems to be
growing.  The first few were observed in 2008.  There was a Lionfish Derby this
past weekend, and in one day more than fifty were caught by a 13 recreational
divers.  Most were juveniles, < 7cm.  There is an organized group of
recreational divers here with a goal of keeping the population less than fifteen
per hectare.

I haven't been diving in nearly a year.  But as to bleaching this year, I didn't
report because the water here didn't get hotter than the normal, 28c, so I doubt
there was any or much bleaching of what little coral there is left.

Cheers,

Melissa E. Keyes
St. Croix,
U.S.Virgin Islands