[Coral-List] Announcing the Coral Finder Toolkit

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Dec 7 11:06:36 EST 2010

I highly recommend the "Indo Pacific Coral Finder". I field tested it this
summer in Palawan. It is very accurate and does a great job of covering the
major genera and some dominant species. Every dive operation in the
Indo-Pacific should have at least one (I could hardly keep it away from the
resort staff), and it will help alleviate the 'overwhelmed head-aches'
experienced by many Caribbean researchers when they first visit these
high-diversity areas. It is not as comprehensive as Veron's encyclopedic
"Corals of the World" on which it is based, but is infinitely easier to
carry into the field!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu
 Phone: 305-421-4814

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."
              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate