[Coral-List] Chagos MPA - a new perspective

Mark Spalding mark at mdspalding.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 14:35:45 EST 2010

Ted Morris makes a perfectly logical argument and I only wish that all the
others who felt the same way had been so honest. If they wanted an MPA that
excluded Chagossians from ever returning then why all the careful language
expressing how welcome they'd be in the MPA? Careful language admittedly,
not promising anything, but clearly designed to broaden support for the
idea.

Chagos is extremely special. The track record of people living off reefs is
ON AVERAGE one of damage and degradation, and we are being dishonest if we
think all remote island peoples do a good job of sustainable living. But
some do.

My big concern has always been that Ted and others, including the current
incumbents at the FCO and in the US military, will not always be the ones to
decide on the future for Chagossians. An MPA could so easily be built which
recognised the current status (no resettlement) but made provisions for
resettlement should it at some point be allowed. The sorts of language could
be strong ("in the event of any future resettlement, fishing will only be
permitted on 30% of reefs around inhabited atolls...development will be
restricted to x islands/y% of land area, etc")...but really the best way to
work anything out like that, and to make it robust to changes in politics
and management, would be if the Chagossians themselves helped make those
decisions, informed by environmental scientists who know the issues of
maximising ecosystem productivity, building resilience and maintaining
biodiversity.

Having been double-crossed before (they were allowed to return a few years
ago, albeit briefly), any sensible Chagossian wanting to return will move
VERY fast if or when they are ever given permission to do so. Legal
provision for such a return within the MPA framework would only be a
sensible precaution, and would still allow Ted and other to continue
objecting to their return. If this can't be done the I hope the Chagossians
will still have some faith in the conservation and environment movement to
reach out for advice when the time comes.

Thank you Ted for helping clarify the debate.

All best

Mark

PS - I don't want to jump into the debate about military impacts too much. I
tend to agree that things could have been much worse in DG, but neither are
they perfect. Readers, particularly those looking for photos of reef
destruction would be fascinated to see the third photo down on Ted's
web-site http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/seabees1974.html . Please note
that this is an old photo, I'm sure (please!) that the US wouldn't do this
to a reef flat today, but worth noting that the scars from this exercise
remain and nothing has re-grown here, they can be EASILY seen on Google
Earth, and have likely contributed to heightened erosion along this coast.