[Coral-List] Record setting cold in south Florida

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 15:12:03 EST 2010

As cold as it is here in Atlanta, it would be inconceivable to suggest that
these anecdotal WEATHER conditions give evidence to discredit anthropogenic
climate change theory. Events like these occur not unexpectedly and in doing
so often reinforce, rather than contradict climate change predictions.
(Even though it was never intended, the term "global warming" can give the
impression to some that cold weather conditions will no longer have to be
tolerated. But, of course, weather and climate are two different things).

Cold weather will continue to exist, but climate trends are still clear.
Consider these conditions from last winter.(But just earlier this year).
The conditions predictably led to similar speculation that climate change
theory was fatally flawed.  http://www.physorg.com/news182026415.html

So even though these cold conditions last January raised questions, what was
the overall trend for this year? Why not consider data from a source close to home?
Consider the statistics for 2010 (to date) from NOAA to determine if our planet
is somehow reversing the warming trend as a result of these chilling WEATHER conditions.          http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/?report=global

Perhaps some would be more comfortable with conflicting data from this site:
http://www.isthereglobalcooling.com/ (Please check what they say about NOAA
temperature measures for October, 2009 and then check the NOAA site listed above
for the factual record). (Or, if you prefer, check their link to what appears to
be an "alternate" NOAA site with contradictory information).
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/?report=national&year=2009&month=10&submitted=Get+Report

Who are you going to believe?

All this while keeping in mind that one humorous definition of statistics is that it is
the science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.(I know, sometimes
it is the data that is brought into question). In the end, we are left with trying to
determine which data we consider most reliable and from that, drawing our conclusions.

   Steve