[Coral-List] "sarcasm, endless disagreements, personal attacks..."

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Sun Dec 12 12:18:23 EST 2010

On 2010-12-10, at 21:46, Michael Risk wrote:

> I said, SPM values should at no time exceed 10 mg/l. A calibration
> curve was worked out between SPM and NTU’s (one of the MANY reasons
> NTU’s need to be abandoned is the need for site-specific
> correlations). Every day, an independent contractor goes out in a
> small boat and takes water samples. If the values exceed 10mg/l,
> all operations shut down until the water clears.
>
> I have NEVER heard of a similar arrangement in the West. The
> arrangement I suggested for the Gulf would never have been accepted-
> I can hear the howls from my colleagues right now:

Interesting, you apparently don't include Europe in "the West". I
mean, since this agreement was with Europe as one part.  For what it
is worth, it is a common practice in Sweden to do exactly that, not
on coral reefs of course, but in rivers etc where dredging or other
siltation-causing activity is taking place.

However, I do agree that a more intelligent approach may be needed,
especially in the sea, which is why I am building siltation
measurement instruments. Turbidity regulation is not all that useful
in a 3D work area.

Ulf Erlingsson, PhD
President and CEO
Lindorm, Inc.