[Coral-List] Science Program Director Opening

Seacamp Association, Inc. seacamp2002 at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 13:56:08 EST 2010

SCIENCE PROGRAM DIRECTOR

Do you love the ocean?  Do you have a passion for science?  Do you enjoy working with youth and young adults?  Are you committed to educating the public about our natural environment?  Are you enthusiastic about making education fun? If you answered yes to these questions, there is an exciting position awaiting you in the heart of the Florida Keys!  Seacamp Association, Inc. is in search of a dynamic individual to manage our Science Education Program.

Seacamp is a unique tropical marine environmental education center in the Florida Keys, established in 1966. We offer residential programs for elementary, middle, high school, college and adult groups from September through May.  From June to August we offer both a residential and daycamp program for youth 10 to 17.  Field programs are conducted on boats utilizing snorkeling and SCUBA diving.  Shore trips utilize wading and kayaking. From offshore to upland environments, programs include instruction on the ecology of coral reefs, seagrasses, sponge flats, mangroves, sandy and rocky shores, and terrestrial communities.

It is Seacamp’s mission to educate its staff and participants about the environment and conservation through experiential field based programs.  Since 1966 we have educated over 300,000 participants.  Our organization is committed to offering the same quality educational experience to the next 300,000 participants.

This is a management position that requires excellent communication and supervisory skills, sound judgment, initiative, and flexibility.

The ideal candidate possesses or has the ability to complete:

Advanced degree in marine science, science education, or related field

Minimum 5 years of experience in field based education, curriculum development, and program assessment

Boat handling experience and/or Captain's license

SCUBA certified

Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR-PR certifications

NAUI Skin Diving Instructor and Rescue Diver certifications

Must be able to swim 500 yards in 10 minutes and a 25 yard underwater swim in one breath without fins

We are looking for a self-motivated and energetic individual to join our management team.

To apply, please send a cover letter, resume/CV, official transcripts, and three professional references to:

Science Program Director Search
Seacamp
1300 Big Pine Avenue
Big Pine Key, Florida 33043