[Coral-List] 2010 Duke Global Fellowships

Debbie Pease drpease1 at duke.edu
Wed Feb 3 11:40:57 EST 2010

Good Morning,

I am the administrator for the Duke Center for Marine Conservation at
the Duke University Marine Lab. Our purpose is to offer educational,
research and collaborative opportunities for person or organizations in
the field of marine conservation.

Each year, the Duke University Marine Laboratory/Duke Center for Marine
Conservation offers an exciting opportunity for international students.
Duke’s Integrated Marine Conservation Program teaches the principles
necessary to the conservation and preservation of the coastal and
oceanic environment. The focus is on interdisciplinary problem
solving—using natural and social science theory to resolve real world
environmental problems. This program is a tremendous opportunity for
students at any level to think about conservation biology and policy in
an environment full of students and faculty grappling with the same
issues. The core class (BIO 109/ENV209 Conservation Biology and Policy)
involves field trips, discussion groups, role play, lecture and a final
project that focuses on the integration of science and policy. Students
will leave the class with an appreciation of the policy process, as well
as knowledge in the fundamentals of marine conservation.

Please see the announcement below that I would like to post/have posted
to your list serve. This is a wonderful opportunity. I do hope you will
help me get the word out. Time is short…..our final application date is
March 1, 2010. I am sorry for the short notice, but will appreciate any
and all efforts on our behalf.

In anticipation of a positive response, I thank you.

Sincerely,
Debbie

My Contact Information is as follows:

Debbie Pease, Executive Assistant
Duke Center for Marine Conservation
Duke University Marine Lab
135 Duke Marine Lab Road
Beaufort, NC 28516
Phone: 252-504-7636
Fax: 252-504-7638
Email: drpease1 at duke.edu

GLOBAL FELLOWSHIPS IN MARINE CONSERVATION
(Summer Term II)
Deadline: 1 March
For additional information regarding the Global Fellowships in Marine
Conservation applicants are encouraged to contact
ml_admissions at nicholas.duke.edu.
Fellowships for international students will fully cover travel expenses,
room and board, and tuition for both BIO 109/ENV 209 Conservation
Biology and Policy and one elective course subject to availability.
Eligibility
This fellowship is available to any international applicant with
interest and qualifications in conservation biology.
Application Form
There is no separate fellowship application form. Intent to apply for a
fellowship should be made known on the reverse of the summer course
enrollment form.
Required Credentials
In addition to the summer application for courses and current college or
professional school transcript*, each Global Fellowship applicant is
required to submit (1) a brief essay (one page or less) describing the
applicant’s education, research, and work experience background (a
Curriculum Vitae does not take the place of this essay); (2) a brief
statement of purpose, i.e., describing the applicant's reason for taking
the course, how the applicant will be able to apply the training in
his/her home country, the applicant's future goals; (3) a letter of
recommendation from academic faculty or employer addressed to Dr. Larry
Crowder; and (4) a Curriculum Vitae. All credentials may be posted (135
Duke Marine Lab Rd, Beaufort NC 28516, USA) or faxed (252-504-7648) to
the attention of Debbie Pease or scanned and sent in Word or pdf form as
an email attachment to drpease1 at duke.edu. We do not offer guidelines
about the information to be included in your reference letter. These
letters typically include how the referee knows you, his/her opinions of
your work together in the past, and thoughts about whether he/she feels
you'd be well suited to this program.
* If at all possible, a copy of the transcript is preferred. A scan
(sent in Word or pdf form as an email attachment to drpease1 at duke.edu)
or fax (252-504-7648) to the attention of Debbie Pease, an unofficial
version of the transcript is fine. If this is impossible, then please
send a copy of your degree. An ordinary (non certified) translation of
the transcript is fine.
Due Date
All Global Fellowship credentials must be received no later than March
1, 2010 by the admissions office of the Marine Laboratory. All
fellowship applicants will be notified of their award status shortly
after the deadline date.