[Coral-List] cyclone Oli

Klaas Pauly klaas.pauly at ugent.be
Thu Feb 4 12:15:21 EST 2010

Dear Coral Listers,

News about cyclone Oli passing over Tahiti has spread to Europe. First and
foremost, my thoughts go out to the people affected by the cyclone and I
profoundly hope the forecasts have enabled injuries and damage to buildings
to be kept to a minimum... Having said that, I wondered if any of you are
aware of any coral reef monitoring campaigns that might be carried out
during the coming days and weeks to assess the damage, or if you could bring
me in contact with people not on the list involved in field work on coral
reefs in the archipelago. More specifically, I would be interested to learn
more about ephemeral algal overgrowths/blooms on damaged coral and rubble
immediately following the cyclone, in the framework of a modelling study.

Thanks in advance for any input,

All the best,

Klaas

---

Klaas Pauly - Teaching Assistant, PhD Student

Phycology Research Group, Biology Dept., Ghent University

Krijgslaan 281/S8, B-9000 Gent, Belgium

Tel. + 32 9 264 8507

Fax. + 32 9 264 8599

 <http://www.phycology.ugent.be/> http://www.phycology.ugent.be