[Coral-List] Arnfried Antonius

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Thu Feb 11 13:31:55 EST 2010

We will miss Arnfried Antonius. In the 1970s some coral reef
researchers, including me, chided Arnfried for predicting the demise
of corals in the Florida Keys. His prediction was in part  based on
his aquarium experiments in which he had been growing corals using
the  tea colored water from the basin at Pennekamp park headquarters.
We also accused him of being overly dramatic with his predictions of
doom. Arnfried left the Keys and went back to Europe for several
years.
The next and last time I saw Arnfried was about 18 years ago. John
Halas had taken Anfried and a number of us geologist (including some
politicians) out on the Agazzi to the south end of Grecian Rocks. It
was a spot where I have been taking serial photos of a particular
group of corals since 1960 (presently a 49 year photo record) and
where I had  documented the progress of everything Arnfried had
predicted. The group of us  stood in a sand hole adjacent to my photo
spot so we could  talk with our heads out of water. I remember saying
to Arnfried and the group. " Look around Arnfried, everything you
predicted has come true. You were right!" Arnfried thanks for being
the leader. We will miss you.  Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor