[Coral-List] sea urchin removal to prevent bioerosion

Clement Dumont cdumont at hku.hk
Wed Feb 17 03:01:10 EST 2010

Dear all,
thank you for all the comprehensive replies from which I learned a lot. My initial question, however, remained unanswered. Does anybody is aware of report/publication of such removal practice of grazers to protect/restore coral reefs (i.e. removal program similar to the crown-of thorns)?
 I have also a project in Malaysia where the Marine Park rangers remove every year the sea star Acanthaster planci in an attempt to prevent population outbreaks. However, when I found similar densities of sea stars at the sites where removal occur with sites where no sea stars are collected. Unthinking removal programs are generally unsuccessful and can even further damage the corals (e.g. Japan sea star removal).

Best wishes,
Clement

---------