[Coral-List] Endangered species status will be considered for 82 corals

Billy Causey billy.causey at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 18 21:11:29 EST 2010

Gene,
Let me tell you a little story.  You will recall the Conch Coalition, the so-called "grass-roots" group that formed in the Florida Keys to oppose the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary in the early to mid-1990's.  I said so-called and put "grass-roots" in parenthesis because some of their organizers came from out of town and a local investigative reporter found funding links back to the wise-use movement.

But to get to my point, Conch Coalition representatives began a door-to-door campaign, especially in the Upper Keys telling people such things as, "if you loose the roof on your house in a hurricane, the Sanctuary will not let you rebuild!". Or, a real frightening bit of mis-leading, malicious fabrication was "if your car leaks oil on your driveway, NOAA will fine you $100 thousand dollars."  They were full of lies and mis-information and single income or retired individuals believed them at first.

However, when these malicious and false claims did not happen, even multiple hurricane strikes later.... the credibility of the Conch Coalition was affected.  Those that came from the outside are gone and support for the Sanctuary has swung to the positive side.

Now ... I recall you made similar claims about the listing of Acropora species .... Yet your falsely based predictions haven't taken place.

I share this story about how the Conch Coalition tarnished and lost their credibility in the Keys as a long time friend.

Billy