[Coral-List] ESA Listing for 82 corals

Walt Smith walt at waltsmith.com
Sun Feb 21 13:30:15 EST 2010

Hi All,
I had a hunch that one of my managers in Fiji responded to this post. When I
asked him if this was the case he sent me this response. I would like to
share with you for consideration.

Hi Walt,
    Kind of spooky. Sounds like me. Even likes to leave a nominal carbon
footprint like me. Although I admit to various "nom de plumes", this is not
one of them. You and I both know there are people in this world that object
to our existence without knowing anything about the trade. I have come
across this time and time again. As you have. Certain tour operators are
among those that generally hate us at this end. A very old saying is that
"people fear what they do not understand". We have borne the brunt of many
an accusation simply because we have "direct contact" with the reef.
Therefore we must be at fault. As opposed to the lumber industry that would
deforest a hill miles away resulting in runoff that kills a reef larger than
what the trade has removed in it's entire history. Or a sugar mill as I have
seen in Fiji. Of course I'm preaching to the choir here. You know all that.
As do all of us in the know. I fear that one day wild corals will no longer
be permitted. The moment they were listed on CITES as Appendix 2 was the
beginning of an eventual demise. Why this happened I cannot say. I have
heard time and time again that the corals reef is the largest organism on
earth and can be seen from space (eg, Great Barrier Reef). Yet it is listed
as endangered. It is not the aquarium trade that will result in the demise
of the reefs. But climate change and other man made impacts to the planet.
CITES is like some big environmental roach motel. You can check in but you
can't check out. Clams are a perfect example. Indigenous  islanders nearly
wiped out giant clams in their respective countries for food. Mariculture
has resulted in more clams that nature can produce. Yet even the cultured
ones remain as CITES 2. It makes no sense. Because once you are listed on
CITES you are there for life. And USFWS has become the US Gestapo arm of
CITES and seems to have jumped on the bandwagon of those who oppose the
trade.
    Then of course there's the scapegoat ideology. Blame the aquarium trade
to misdirect those who would otherwise look at larger culprits such as
lumber, oil and numerous other larger, richer, greedier, entities that
destroy reefs "indirectly?" on a massive scale.
   Perhaps you should have been a politician or lobbyist. The opposition
seems to have better ones than we do. That's really what it comes down to.
He who screams the loudest. Like the crowd choosing Barabbas over Jesus
prior to his crucifixion.