[Coral-List] hs teacher needs feedback

Laine Smith ladyfsu1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 12:39:03 EST 2010

I've never posted on this list server before because I'm "simply a high school teacher," but I follow the discussions and read many of the publications that are found on coral-list (I can't even begin to tell you how much I wanted to say on the whole Ocean Literacy topic that was on here not too long ago).  I've decided to post because I need some information from those who actually work directly/indirectly in the field at a higher level.

I teach marine science honors to 11th and 12th grade students in Florida.  We aquaculture corals and seahorses, do inquiry investigations regarding oceans and environmental issues (we were involved with the IYOR2008 project run by the Reef Stewardship Foundation), and we try to educate the public as well.

I have the support from administration for a Marine Science 2 Honors next year.  I have to now get this passed at district level.  One of the questions they are asking me is "What is the need for adopting this course?" and asks for supporting evidence.

Can any of you offer me insight as to how respond?  I'm looking for things related to ocean literacy, employable skills, job market, higher education etc.   (or any other great wisdom you can offer me).

Thanks very much!

Laine Smith
River Ridge High School
www.reefrascals.org

Additionally, if there is anyone out there who would be willing to "Skype" or do a live interview online to my class from the field (even if that means hours of work at a desk - but underwater would be downright fun, too), PLEASE let me know.  That would be for sometime this spring and hopefully quite a bit next school year.