[Coral-List] Research Program Announcement - NSF - Ocean Acidification

Joanie Kleypas kleypas at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 28 09:19:08 EST 2010

Dear Coral-Listers:

I hope you all take serious notice of Phil Taylor's announcement earlier of
the new NSF solicitation for proposals that address Ocean
Acidification.  This is a
great opportunity for coral reef researchers to really tackle this big
problem for
reefs, so I hope a lot of you take this seriously and submit proposals
in April.  The total
funding available will be $12-15M, and there are three categories of
proposals:

(1), full research projects, may be a maximum of four years duration and
$2,000,000.

(2), exploratory awards, will follow the guidelines and review criteria
of EAGER proposals

(3), community and capacity building projects, may request a maximum of
$100,000.

Good luck out there!
Joanie

Taylor, Phillip R. wrote:
> The U.S. National Science Foundation announces opportunities for
> research and community building in the theme of
>
> OCEAN ACIDIFICATION.    Please see the full announcement at the
> following website.
>

> http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2010/nsf10530/nsf10530.htm
>

> Letters of Intent due:  29 March 2010
>
> Full proposals due:      26 April 2010
>

> Synopsis of Program:
>

> Since the publication of The Royal Society's report Ocean Acidification
> Due to Increasing Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide (June 2005,
> www.royalsoc.ac.uk), there has been growing concern for the potential
> adverse impacts of a slowly acidifying sea upon marine ecosystems.  In
> recognition of the need for basic research concerning the nature, extent
> and impact of ocean acidification on oceanic environments in the past,
> present and future, this announcement has the following broad goals:
>

>           To understand the chemistry and physical chemistry of ocean
> acidification and, in particular, its interplay with fundamental
> biochemical and physiological processes of organisms;
>

>           To understand how ocean acidification interacts with processes
> at the organismal level, and how such interactions impact the structure
> and function of ecosystems, e.g. through life histories, food webs,
> biogeochemical cycling, and other interactions;
>

>           To understand how the earth system history informs our
> understanding of the effects of ocean acidification on the present day
> and future ocean.
>

> New research frontiers require the development of interdisciplinary
> partnerships and capacity building within the scientific community.
> Accordingly, full research proposals, exploratory proposals, and
> community development efforts such as workshops and symposia all are
> encouraged.  Proposals must clearly demonstrate links between the
> research outcome and the emphasis areas described within the
> solicitation.  Preference will be given to proposals that create new
> partnerships across traditional disciplines (including molecular and
> cellular biology, physiology, marine chemistry and physics, ecological
> sciences, paleoecology, and earth system history) and use diverse
> approaches (observational systems, experimental studies, theory and
> modeling) to examine cutting edge research questions related to ocean
> acidification.
>

> Phil Taylor
>

> ***********************************
>
> Phillip R. Taylor
>
> Head, Ocean Section (Biological, Chemical and Physical Oceanography)
>
> Division of Ocean Sciences
>
> National Science Foundation
>
> 4201 Wilson Blvd., Suite 725
>
> Arlington,  Virginia,  USA  22230
>
> 703-292-8580,    fax: 703-292-9085
>
> prtaylor at nsf.gov

Joanie Kleypas
Integrated Science Program / Climate & Global Dynamics
PO Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000
ph: 303-497-8111
fx: 303-497-8125