[Coral-List] Unidentified Grouper is a Cubera Snapper

Steve Kolian stevekolian at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 14:08:02 EDT 2010

Hello,

Thank you for your help with identifying, what I believed to be, the species of grouper on the video clip. The majority of respondants suggested that it was a Cubera Snapper (Lutjanus cyanopterus). I have to agree.

This Cubera Snapper was observed on May 19th at offshore platform MP 313 located 24 miles south east of the mouth of the Mississippi in 270 foot water depth.

It is the first cubera snapper I have ever seen after 30 years diving and fishing in the northern Gulf of Mexico. The fish is large and appears to be 60-90 lbs. I have heard of them inhabiting the platforms located offshore of south Texas in the Brownsville and Corpus Christi area, but never this far north. Once again thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards, Steve Kolian 225-910-0304 cell