[Coral-List] updated ID pages for Caribbean corals

Mark J A Vermeij vermeij at hawaii.edu
Mon Jul 12 14:20:04 EDT 2010

Dear All

There have also been some updates on the coral ID pages. Carmabi compiled a series of pictures that show combinations of corals that are often mistaken  for one another. Because terminology to describe each species is often  subjective (i.e. has larger polyps or smaller ridges) having both  species in one picture might help to get a better idea of how such  closely related/ similar looking "species" can be distinguished from one  another. Corals are now divided in four main groups (Montastraea, Agaricidae, Brain-looking corals and the Rest). All  identifications are based on commonly used species names here on  Curacao. This overview is a work in progress (and I welcome suggestions on how to shape this picture collection into a more user-friendly format), but I thought it would be useful to throw it out as it is.

The four aforementioned coral  groups can also be found at Carmabi's research website:  http://www.researchstationcarmabi.org/

Click on "Publications" and a  drop-down menu will appear with all the coral combinations for all four  coral groups.

The following links take you directly to each  group (you might have to cut and paste):

For Montastraea:  http://www.researchstationcarmabi.org/publications/coral-id-curacao-montastraea
For Agaricidae:  http://www.researchstationcarmabi.org/publications/coral-id-curacao-agaricidae
For  "Brain"corals:  http://www.researchstationcarmabi.org/publications/coral-id-curacao-braincorals
For  "The Rest":  http://www.researchstationcarmabi.org/publications/coral-id-curacao-the-rest

Hopefully you'll find this overview useful.

Best regards

Mark

__________________________________
Dr. M.J.A. Vermeij
Science Director
Carmabi Foundation
Piscaderabaai z/n
Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles
Phone: +5999-5103067
Email: m.vermeij at carmabi.org
Skype: markvermeij
Web:http://www.researchstationcarmabi.org/

Department of Botany
University of Hawaii at Manoa
email: vermeij at hawaii.edu
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/

Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics  IBED
University of Amsterdam
Nieuwe Achtergracht 127
1018 WS Amsterdam
The Netherlands