[Coral-List] Status of Tubastraea corals on GOM oil rigs?

Steve Kolian stevekolian at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 19:43:26 EDT 2010

Colin,

EcoRigs is conducting research on the impacts of the oil and dispersants on tubastraea and other coral reef organisms. We began on May 7th and will continue for several months. We have been studying the coral reef communities on the structures for over 15 years. We are seeing a decline in bleenies and arrow crabs and other indicator organisms near the surface. We also see subsurface oil and a noticable decline in sunlight penetration down the water column.

Go to http://www.ecorigs.org/EcoRigsOilSpill.html to view preliminary results. More data is on the way.

We are self-funded which means payment for all research comes out of our own pockets; however, our crew is composed of scientist, commercial fishermen and professional divers so we are getting information and data from these latter sectors that is very helpful.

Best Regards, Steve Kolian 225-910-0304 cell