[Coral-List] Anomalously high water temperatures in the Florida waters and in the Bahamas

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Mon Jun 21 10:10:40 EDT 2010

Hi Mark:

I was in La Parguera PR the first week in June and the water temperatures in the seaward shallows surrounding Magueyes were ca. 30.8 oC.  The Laurel ICON station is not reporting temperatures that high but I found the waters outside Turrumote to be quite warm (unfortunately, I forgot the thermometer that day).  I saw some Agaricia partially bleached.  I agree that this may be a serious bleaching year for the upper Caribbean.

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta