[Coral-List] Request for information on benthic cover software

Robert Miller rjmiller1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 11:18:12 EDT 2010

Hi Ruth,
You can extract video frames at specified intervals with this free
software developed at the Center for Bio-image Informatics UCSB with
NSF funding:
http://www.bioimage.ucsb.edu/downloads/BioImage%20Convert
The Center has other very useful tools available, including Digital
Notebook, which is ideal for counting animals etc.

I have been working with the center to analyze benthic video.  We have
developed a matlab script that automatically locates laser points for
scale and calculates image area.   They are also working on a method
to extract consecutive non-overlapping frames that cover an entire
video transect. If anyone is interested in this let me know.

Bob Miller

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Ruth Thurstan <ruththurstan at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear Coral-list
>
> I have recently completed a number of video transects of benthic communities. I would like to get hold of some software that allows me to take frame-grabs from the video so I can estimate percentage cover etc.
>
> Does anyone have any advice as to what software is available and where I could get it from? I have had a look around but most software seems to deal with single images rather than a video.
>
> Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Ruth Thurstan

Robert J. Miller
Bren School of Environmental Science and Management
University of California Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara CA 93109-5131