[Coral-List] Harmful effects of suntan lotion on coral reefs?

Boland, Gregory S Gregory.Boland at mms.gov
Fri Mar 5 10:01:16 EST 2010

Yes, that paper, Danovaro et al. 2008
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291018/, was the initial
stimulus for the recent postings and mentioned at the beginning of this
thread.  The paper claimed to demonstrate impacts on corals in situ (in
the title, Sunscreens Cause Coral Bleaching by Promoting Viral
Infections, abstract, etc) by extrapolating exposure experiments in
small plastic bags.  That is simply not legitimate. I would guess the
experiments using Coppertone mentioned earlier were also in small
volume-closed systems as well.

Greg Boland