[Coral-List] Swan Islands, Honduras

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Sat Mar 27 23:25:37 EDT 2010

here's a thought.  Let's apply the American model to coral reef protection
there.  In the heart of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary a
proposal is now being seriously considered to again dredge and expand the
long access channel into Key West Harbor to accommodate mega cruise ships..
It was just deepened a few years ago to allow easier passage by cruise ships
and Navy vessels.  Of course the channel is very near to patch and other
reefs offshore Key West and passes through the fringing reef 5 miles
offshore.  Turbidity from passing large vessels has long been a source of
degradation offshore from Key West.  Seagrass flats near Key West have been
sliced up by boats for many years.

So, I hope those concerned about Swan Island  many miles away will also
strive to protect those coral reef ecosystems that are a bit closer to home
here in the US.   There's no place better suited and in need of expanded
MPAs then locations like the Swan Islands, and the Florida Keys.

Keep up the good exchanges coral_list.

Curtis Kruer